The legends of Email Marketing date back to the time when there were only a few players gaming on the plethora of Digital Marketing. This era of digital excellence has a lot to offer in terms of marketing alternatives, and the industry approach of reaching out to the audiences is now turning a new page. With social media gaining popularity among the gen Z and the millennials, it has now turned out to be a burning question for every marketer whether Email Marketing is dying a slow death or still holds its stake in this ever changing epoch of new age marketing?
Well, for starters, here’s a thing about worldwide email users; as reported till 2017, there are 3.7 billion email users in the world. Out of which, about 233 million of them are located in the United States. Moreover, a rough estimation shows that the number of email users in the U.S. will reach nearly 255 million by the end of 2020. So, if the question still nags you for whether investing in an effective email marketing campaign will weave you fruits, be at peace because email marketing has its roots strong enough to stay here for a long long time.
There are Email users and then there are Email Marketers
The dividing aid between emails and marketing emails is the term ‘Marketing’. The aforementioned data shows overall email users containing the personal, professional, educational, and several other accounts as a whole. When we specifically aim to know about the Email Marketing figures, the stats are even more surprising and convincing for the industries to make out if graphing an effective email marketing strategy is still a boon or no!
- Approximately, half of the U.S. marketers aspire to increase their spending on email marketing, and about 48% are anticipating to maintain their current budgets. In line with this prognostication, the United States is solely expected to increase its spend on email advertising from 270 million U.S. dollars in 2015 to 350 million U.S. dollars during this year i.e 2019.
- As derived from the Statista Reports, the leading source of email newsletter subscription for the U.S. consumers was from brands or manufacturers, followed by the retailers. About 65% of these consumers have a preference for gaining information about special offers and discounts in their email newsletters. And, this is one of the notable reasons for subscribing to email newsletters according to consumers in the United States as of May 2017.
- In 2016, around 2.57 billion U.S. dollars worth advertising expenditure was raised solely through emails.
Industry Specific Email Marketing statistics
Digital marketing now goes hand in hand with the traditional and other marketing practices. Irrespective of the industry niche, every other business strives to create a strong online presence these days. To make it more convincing, here are figures that tell the story of industry wise email marketing spenders across the globe!
Medical and Healthcare
47% healthcare professionals and medical industries as a whole already have an established email marketing strategy, 13% are planning to implement one, while only 7% are unsure about it and other 33% are not into the game at all.
63% of IT Solution providers or the ones who are into software services as a whole already have an established email marketing strategy, 23% are planning to implement one, while only 7% are unsure about it and other 7% are not into the game at all.
Banking And Finance
67% of banking and financial service providers as a whole already have an established email marketing strategy, 20% are planning to implement one, while only 3% are unsure about it and other 10% are not into the game at all.
63% of Gaming Solution providers already have an established email marketing strategy, 12.5% are planning to implement one, while only 7% are unsure about it and there are none who aren’t interested at all.
64% of Advertising people/industries already have an established email marketing strategy, 26% are planning to implement one, while only 10% are unsure about it and there are none who are unsure.
64% of Educationalists already have an established email marketing strategy, 27% are planning to implement one, while only 6% are unsure about it and other 3% are not into the game at all.
62% of publishing industry players already have an established email marketing strategy, 29% are planning to implement one, while 0% are unsure about it and other 10% are not into the game at all.
55% of Media Marketers already have an established email marketing strategy, 36% are planning to implement one, while only 5% are unsure about it and other 5% are not into the game at all.
(The mentioned stats are a result of a survey conducted by Pure 360’s Email Marketing Strategy Survey Report-2013 wherein 612 respondents were a part.)
The Email Marketing and Engagement Statistics
- Email generates around $37bn retail sales annually (Marketing Week)
- 86% of consumers like it when promotional emails from companies they do business are sent to them at least monthly, and 15% would like to get them daily (Statista)
- Emails are considered to be the number one digital marketing channel for Return on Investment (ROI) by 73% of the marketers (Marketing Week)
- The Basket abandonment emails go out with the most email open rate of 40.5% (eMarketer)
- Increasing the engagement rate is 54% of marketers’ top take away when they invest in an email marketing strategy (Ascend2)
- 81% of online buyers, who are targeted via emails for their past shopping habits were at least somewhat likely to buy again. (eMarketer)
- Adding the social sharing plugin links to the emails sent increase the click through rate by more than 150% (Social Times)
- 64% of buyers or decision makers prefer to read the email messages on their mobile phones (SalesForce)
The answer to the question whether Email marketing is still effective in 2019, or in the years coming by; a simple lookout is to follow the figures and make the most out of analysis and studies that are already there for our ease. As the numbers are flowing, it states a clear picture that Email Marketing is here to stay. With alterations and better customer approach, it will stand as a strong pillar of digital marketing strategy for any industry.